A couple weeks ago, J got to spend a week at Kansas Bible Camp. This was our first time for any child to be gone for this long. What an interesting week it was!
We got J all packed...except we couldn't find one of his flip flops. We searched and searched but could not find it in time. After the potluck at church that Sunday, we headed to camp. It was a very hot day. Seth wasn't feeling well; he had come down with yet another cold. We pulled up into the camp and got J's stuff out of the van and he started the check-in process. But not before he gave me a quick hug with a "Bye Mom" as if we were just leaving right away. lol
Check-in went smoothly and J was shown the room in which he would be staying. I took a quick picture and left him to set up his things and change to go swimming. Seth, the girls, and I sat waiting to say good-bye. But he didn't come out. Seth finally went in to see if he needed help with anything, but he was gone. So, we went on a small search, starting with the pool. No sign of him. We looked around again. Still nothing. Finally, we took one more trip and Seth spotted him in the pool area. We walked up to the fence, said our goodbyes, and left.
I did a lot of praying on the way home. My stomach was unsettled. Will he use enough sunscreen? Will he drink enough water? Will he sleep ok at night? Will he make friends? Will he shower? Will he change clothes everyday? "Lord, calm my heart. He is in Your hands and I know You will take care of him."
By Monday, I was doing fine. My girls were having a difficult time, however. A continued to ask where J was and if he was going to eat with us and if he was going to sleep with us. I let A and K sleep together most of the week. We wrote him letters and sent them on Tuesday. Seth and I realized during this week that J is the source of calmness among our 3 children. Without J, it was like someone removed the pin from a hand grenade. The girls went absolutely crazy!! K is generally the one to be loud and hyper, but this week she took A with her and their bouncing off the walls was multiplied by 10. lol
On Thursday, we went swimming at a friend's house. Several people were there from church. After a while, I saw K sitting on the edge of the pool looking very upset. I walked over to see what was going on. "I can't dive without J to dive with me." Poor sweetie was lost without her brother! It is true, when we do go swimming, they dive together. He gives her the confidence to dive in the water and without him, she didn't think she could. So, she sat there bawling because her brother wasn't there to dive with her. I told her just one more day, and he'll be home. We can wait one more day. "I can't! I can't! It's too long!" :( It's nice to know that she loves her brother that much and she missed him a lot.
Well, Friday finally came after a very hot week with temps over 100. Seth was unable to join us because of work. The girls and I could hardly wait until it was time to leave. Finally, the time came, and we got in the van and headed back to camp. As we pulled in, I noticed a few kids with T-shirts wrapped around their heads. "Why are there kids dressed like Ninjas?" I thought to myself. One ninja was kinda following our van, jumping up and down all goofy. Then, I noticed his face through the T-shirt that covered most of it - it was J. J was one of the ninjas and just as goofy as ever. lol As soon as we parked, the girls got out and practically mauled J with hugs. :) We collected his art projects among other things and then sat down for supper. I met a couple of his new friends as well as his counselors.
K was just too excited and took off to explore the campgrounds. A wanted to join and J did also. We all walked over the scary bridge to the tree house and looked at the animals. Finally, I got K to follow me back to the van. It was time to go home. I helped J get his stuff from his room into the van. He lost his sleeping bag cover which is a big bummer since the sleeping bag won't stay rolled without it. I had him take a few more pictures with the disposable camera I bought him. And then we all climbed back into the van to go home.
J had fun. We survived. And we'll do it again next summer. Except K will get to stay at camp, too. *sigh* They grow up so fast. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment