Last night as I was getting ready for bed, my hip went out. I have been telling Seth that I will need a hip replacement by the time I'm 40 and I'll have full alzheimer's by the time I'm 50. I would hate to be right.
Occasionally, as I am out shopping, my hip will go out. I suddenly can't move and I have to do a couple of high knee bends to get it back working again. Last night's hip issue was completely different. I felt it slide out of place almost....I can't really describe it. There was no popping sound, just sudden pain and I couldn't move. I couldn't put my weight on my right leg. I felt like my leg bone was completely out of the hip socket which I'm sure is not actually the case. I pulled myself into bed and carefully layed down. I couldn't believe how much my hip hurt and I wasn't sure if I would be able to sleep.
Well, I didn't sleep great. I woke every time I needed to turn over and carefully rolled into a position that was somewhat comfortable. It was painful. Finally, I woke up wondering what time it was, if my alarm would be going off soon. I reached back to check my phone but that was too painful so I adjusted my position a bit. I had 9 mintues left. Could I wait it out? I tried. My hip just hurt lying there. I needed to get up move around, find out how bad it really hurt. So I grabbed my phone and keys, picked up Seth's work clothes for today, and carefully got out of bed.
Surprisingly, I was able to put weight on it. The more I walked the better it felt. I went upstairs and eventually sat on the couch. But I immediately stood back up. It hurt to sit. It hurt to lie down. It didn't hurt as much to stand or walk. So for the next couple minutes I paced the living room, working my hip to see if it would feel better. Seth finally got up and asked what was going on. I just told him my hip hurt. He told me to take ibuprofin but I would be too stubborn.
He's right. I don't take medicine unless I'm practically dying. My hip wasn't killing me, but it was certainly interfering with my normal daily activities. I sat in my computer chair and it wasn't too bad but I couldn't sit long. I paced some more, went back downstairs, came back up, sat on the couch, but moving was definitely the best thing for it. Seth left for work and left me to my regular day.
I sat down on the edge of the couch and opened up my devotional book. I am currently reading "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young. Each devotion is dated and written as if it were God speaking to me and then it gives verse references for me to look up and read to support what was written. I opened it up to September 8 and this is what I read, "Accept each day exactly as it comes to you. By that, I mean not only the circumstances of your day but also the condition of your body." It is amazing how often these little devotions completely match what is going on in my head...even if I'm a few days behind. God is awesome!! He knows exactly what I need when I need it. This is not a coincidence. I am encouraged by the verses that went along with this as well. 2 Corinthians 13:4, "For indeed He was crucified because of weakness, yet He lives because of the power of God. For we also are weak in Him, yet we shall live with Him because of the power of God directed toward you." Jeremiah 31:25, "For I satisfy the weary ones and refresh everyone who languishes." I have the power of God within me. He gives me rest, He satisfies me. He refreshes me. He is all I need.
I finally took some ibuprofen. As I continued to pace the living room, I was noticing how the pain in my hip was affecting my entire body. I felt sickish, allergies seemed to be worse, and I'm sure I'm tired from such a restless night. But, now that the ibuprofen is kicking in, the hip is starting to feel better. I will make it through today with the power of God.
*verses are quoted from the NASB
No comments:
Post a Comment