Friday, October 21, 2011

Losing Things

My husband occasionally misplaces things.  We have to go searching the house for his wallet or, just like we did a few mornings ago, his lost keys.  We look in the usual places, check his pant pockets, check his truck or the van.  But on this particular morning, they seemed to have disappeared.  He usually leaves for work between 7:15 and 7:30 but we were still on the hunt when 7:30 rolled around.  He called in to work to let them know he would be late because he can't find his keys.  This is when one starts looking in the unusual places.  I had by this time asked God for help.  I researched a few places.  And then thought, if he had put them on the couch by the kitchen, they could have fallen off and....there they were: behind the couch next to the kitchen doorway.  Whew!!  I hate searching for other people's things because I can't retrace their steps.  But when I can't find something that *I* lost, I am completely frustrated because I almost always put them in the same place every time and I know exactly where everything is - even if my house looks like it's in disarray.

Last evening, I had a wonderful time with women from church for our ladies fellowship.  We cleaned the chapel and then sat down for some food and fellowship.  I came home around 10:00 and found A watching Barney while everyone else had gone to bed.  I did some work on the computer, played a little bit, and then A and I headed for bed.  Every night, I take my keys, lock the door, and then bring them downstairs with me.  This is just in case I might have to escape through our window and then open the door from the outside to help the 2 kids that slept upstairs.

Last night, I couldn't find my keys.  I was quite tired, but I ran through my actions over and over in my head.  Usually when I come home, I put the keys on top of the entertainment center in a little basket.  I searched there several times coming up with nothing.  Sometimes I put them in my purse.  I searched every pocket of my purse.  Nothing.  I looked around my computer.  Nope.  I began other places where I might have set them down...even on the shelf by the bathroom.  I was so boggled.  I was afraid I had locked them in the van but was too tired to look any more.  As I rest my head on my pillow I asked the Lord to help me sleep and not worry about the keys or else it would keep me awake all night.  And then I asked Him to help me to find them in the morning.

This morning I got up with Seth.  I looked again in a few places I had searched last night.  I was still groggy and still unsuccessful.  I went back to bed until it was time for school.  As I was slowly waking up, I ran through my actions in my head.  What did I do when I pulled into the driveway?  I wanted to finish the song that was playing on my ipod.  I turned off the van and waited for the song to finish.  Then I unplugged my ipod and stuck it in my purse.  I remembered that I couldn't get the zipper closed over my ipod so I left it, got out of the van, pushed the lock button and walked into the house.  But what did I do with my keys?  I think I was carrying them in my left hand.

I was surprised to see A still up if everyone else had already gone to bed so I'm sure that threw me off of my normal routine of putting the keys away in the basket.  I put my purse down by my computer chair and at some point, went to the bathroom.  Then, it hit me.  I had gotten on the computer to finish my menu planning and grocery list so I could go shopping today.  I put my recipe box on the desk next to mine, where the kids' computer sits and I kept pushing MY KEYS!! with the box!  Sure enough, as soon as I sat down at the computer this morning, I moved the recipe box and there they were, hiding behind the box.  Thank You Lord!!

Now I can go grocery shopping.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Praise the Lord you found them! My guess was that they were still in the front door lock - a place where I've left my keys before. :-) When I find something I've been on the hunt for like you were, my mind goes to the parables of the lost coin and lost sheep because it's in those times that I can truly relate and more fully understand Jesus' point. - Amy Rush

    ReplyDelete