This was Sally, the bunny we bought K at the state fair. She passed away over Thanksgiving weekend in 2011. It was heart-breaking.
Although we had intended to return to the fair, particularly to buy a bunny for J the following year, it just didn't happen. And with Sally's tragic demise, we never returned to buy a bunny again. Especially since we now have a dog - a dog who is slightly bigger than Sally. :)
We decided it was about time we made another trip to the state fair. I have never been a fan of going to the fair. It always resulted in exhaustion and pain because I always ended up with blisters on my feet to the point that walking was just plain agonizing. Seth, however, grew up going to the fair and he looked forward to it every year. And the kids do enjoy it.
Since Little A was only 3 years old the last time we went, she didn't have any memory of being there so it was all new to her. She excitedly went running into the animal sheds and lead us all down aisles of hens, pigeons, sheep, pigs....she was seeing it all for the first time in her mind.
As we walked through the bunny aisles, I held K's hand. We spotted a couple of Sally-look-alikes. I was fearful that K would become emotional as we remembered picking Sally out and taking her home. She was surprisingly fine. I, however, had to ignore that lump in my throat. She was a sweet little bunny.
After we had seen all the animals we could see, we looked around at art, crafts, produce, etc. And, of course, we checked out all of the vendors.
We used to have a stroller or even a wagon with us. It was great to put in all the stuff we left the fair with. But this year, we chose not to bring the wagon and our kids are all too big for a stroller. So, I had the girls bring their cinch sacs from 31 and I brought a new 31 purse and another cinch sac. Throughout the day, we all stuffed our bags. We ended up getting out the 3rd cinch sac to put more stuff in. But, we actually survived without the wagon!
Of course, the kids love the rides. They each got 22 tickets and off they went. Little A and Seth hung out around the younger kids' rides while the older 2 and I enjoyed the bigger rides. Well, I didn't actually get to ride, but it was sure fun watching them!
We all went on the giant slide together. That was fun! We also enjoyed a train ride and the sky ride as we headed back to the parking lot. But not before we enjoyed some fair food! I had a pulled pork sundae that included mashed potatoes, gravy, and cheese. We always get roasted corn on the cob and the kids shared a large bag of cotton candy. I also tried a deep fried snickers. It's not as good as it sounds. Unless it sounds gross to you, then I would say it was much tastier. Let's just put it this way: I would eat it again if offered for free, but I would chose a regular Snickers over it deep fried anyday.
How about some pics of the day?
With J in school, we had to actually try to leave by a certain time. We left a half later than we wanted to. I was able to walk to the car without limping because for the first time ever (I think), I did not get blisters at the fair! It was a fun, but still exhausting day! I'm glad we got to go. I think going every 3 years is good. Now to get Seth on board with that idea...
No comments:
Post a Comment