The new year has begun! Most people have resolutions they want to try to do in the new year. Many are ways to better themselves. And, most have failed by March.
I am always trying to do things better, make life easier, and do all things for God's glory. I often fail, but that's because I'm human and I have a sinful nature. Isn't it wonderful that God forgives?
The new year isn't really my "new" year. To me, it's just, getting back into the same routine I had before the Christmas break. My new year typically starts with the new school year....that's when I tend to resolve to do things better.
However, I do try to grow closer to the Lord throughout the year. Life is a roller coaster. Sometimes I do really well and things are going smoothly and my new routine in life is working. Other times, I struggle to get out of bed, get dressed, or do a single chore.
As I was lying in bed one night, I thought about how people make new year's resolutions. And I thought to myself, "what is the one thing I would like to improve in my life?" Immediately, the answer came to me: Make every aspect of my life Christ-centered.
I have to admit, that will be a tough one. Of course, I've wanted to make Christ more central to my life, but that sinful part of me loves to take the central spot. So, how would I make more of an effort to do this?
I came up with this....what is it called, anagram? something??? You'll get the picture. hahaha
C - creativeness Any time I'm using my creative talents, I want Christ to not only be a part of them, but to be the center of them. Skits, songs, even blogs....Christ needs to be central.
H - health I tend to give in to my snacky cravings. Nighttime is typically the hardest to resist because then I can eat whatever I want without the kids asking to have some. I really need to consider what I'm doing with my body. Am I using my body for the Lord? Am I considering the fact that my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit? Or am I just stuffing whatever junk I want into it and sitting around without much activity causing my body to grow unwanted fat cells and lose the nutrients needed to be active? Whether I'm sitting, running, eating, snacking, Christ needs to be central.
R - routine Although I don't mind spontaneity, I do need a routine to keep me on track. I have multiple alarms to keep the kids and me going. My kids usually get their things done. But, I ignore the alarms meant for me. I can't do that. I have to push through my laziness, tiredness, excuses, and get the things done that I need to get done. No matter what I'm doing in a day, I need to glorify God in it. I can't glorify God if all I'm doing is sitting on the couch. My daily routine needs Christ in the center.
I - instruction As a mother, teacher, Sunday school teacher, and many other authoritative hats, I have many opportunities to give instruction. How can I teach my children to live with Christ at the center of their lives if I'm not doing it myself? Ouch. I want to lead by example and if I'm doing something I wouldn't approve of my children doing or I wouldn't want those under my authority to be doing, I shouldn't be doing it either! I homeschool my youngest and I have a Sunday School class and I need to be sure that any time I'm giving them instructions, it is Christ-centered.
S - solo time Everyone needs their me time. I do my Bible study everyday, I talk to my Creator everyday, I have my me time to do whatever everyday, so I'm not lacking in me time. But, every type of me time must have Christ at the center. Sometimes I take up too much time for myself and I use it as an excuse to not do other things. Sometimes, I do my Bible study just to get it done without really talking to God about it. Sometimes, I don't really put my heart into my prayers when I need to. Any time I'm spending time alone whether it is in His Word or just watching a movie, Christ must be in the center.
T - Thirty-One When I began my career as a Thirty-One consultant, I told God it was all for Him. He was the One who led me into this decision and has provided for me in the last year and a half, almost 2 years. I made the decision at the very beginning that I would not sacrifice my family, church, Sundays, Bible studies, or my faith to do this job. Although I don't feel like I have sacrificed any of that, I've still forgotten to give it to God. I've become lazy in my business and not let God lead me in it. I have responsibilities in this part of my life that God wants me to do. I need to make God more central in my business.
I tried to cover every part of my life here so that whatever I'm doing throughout the day, I can put that activity into one of these categories and ask, "is Christ in the center of this part of my life right now?" I'm hoping it will convict me every time I answer "no" to that question and rethink why I'm doing whatever it is I'm doing.
I guess this is my new year's resolution....one that I want to continue for the rest of my life....one I know I will fail at times....but one that I can always return to. I want Christ to be my very center so that everything I do and say reflects Him.
"And whatever you do, whether in word or in deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." Colossians 3:17 NIV
No comments:
Post a Comment