Wednesday, August 2, 2017

She's 14!

I know I'm super behind on my blogging, but better late than never, right?

While J and Little A were at camp, K celebrated her 14th birthday.  I let her have a friend over since she was by herself and her friend's siblings were also at camp.

The week started off normally.  Then, K received some interesting information from a friend.  Our city was doing its annual festival and was hosting a Teens Got Talent competition.  K decided to audition.  The day before her birthday, we headed downtown where she sang in front of 3 judges and a very small audience.  We waited and watched other acts for a few hours.  Then, they announced who would perform that evening in the finals.



Name after name....but K's name wasn't called.  We looked at each other and headed home.  We talked about ways to improve and that this was a good experience for her.  Then, I got a phone call.  There was a mistake.  They wanted K in the finals and apologized for not calling her name.  Excitement set in!  K would be singing in the finals that evening!

We went back downtown and prepared for her final performance.  This time, there was a large crowd.  We waited backstage as each act performed.  Finally, it was K's turn.  She sang her heart out.  The crowd cheered and screamed.  K soaked it all in and gave the best performance I've seen her give.  It was a rush!

Then, they announced the 3rd, 2nd, and 1st place performers.  K didn't make the top 3, but those working behind the scenes were all very impressed.  It was an exciting day....the last day she'd be 13 years old.



Her birthday landed on a Wednesday.  Her friend came over to hang out.  K wanted to eat out at a Chinese buffet.  Then, we went to church where we practiced for the VBS skits.  When we came home, we finally got to enjoy cake and ice cream.  She also opened her gifts.  The next day, she and her friend hung out and eventually, I took them on my list of errands.  We stopped to get ice cream and sat at a park.  We played several games of "the floor is lava" which stems from a game we all played as a child.  Now, it has become a new YouTube challenge!  K had me running through the Asian grocery store to find a safe place off the lava-filled floor.  I died.




The next week, we got to celebrate with more of her friends.  Cake, ice cream, and swimming!



This is K:  talkative, singing, joy-filled, Lord-loving, teen!






Happy 14th birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment