Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Our week in Iowa - with pics!

Ok, as promised, I can now write about our trip to Iowa and post pictures.  I still don't have my laptop but I figured how to put the pictures on a thumb drive so here we go!

This has been an odd winter all around.  Kansas doesn't usually get a lot of snow, but Iowa is usually covered in snow by December.  Not this year.  They were looking like a normal Kansas winter and we were even warmer - in the 60s and 70s even.  So, I wasn't sure if we needed to bring our snow gear up.  Some of my Iowa family said there wouldn't be any snow left by Saturday and others were saying they were expecting more snow on Friday.  Hmmmmm.  We brought it just in case.  And good thing too!!

It DID snow while we were up there.  It wasn't a whole lot, but it was enough for the kids to play in, make snow balls, build a snowman, and even go sledding.




My kids spent the week playing with their cousins.  I recorded some of my parents' home videos onto DVD.  I helped my older sister with the kids and even did some cooking with her.  The 4 of us sisters got together and talked wedding and showers.  I helped with my youngest sister's kids, especially when she was trying to pack so they could come back home to Kansas.  It was a nice relaxing week.  Not a lot of extra family plans - which is what most of our Iowa weekends are filled with.  The guys went hunting all week so we hardly saw them.  Seth had a great time.  I do not have pics of the hunting, however.

Later, we had a birthday party for my nephew and my soon-to-be brother-in-law.  My nephew opened presents then Nate opened his.  Then we had a dance party.  It was a blast.  We taught the kids (and even a couple of the guys) how to do various dances.  Once they caught on, we danced over and over.  The chicken dance, the macarana (I'm sure I spelled that wrong, and don't worry, it was the kids version), the bunny hop, the hand jive, the YMCA - tons of fun!





My youngest sister and her family left on Saturday.  We were hoping to, but we were meeting a guy in Kansas to bring home our puppy.  Seth had been talking to this guy since early December.  He sent us pictures through email and we all picked out the puppy we wanted.  We couldn't wait to meet him (the puppy, that is).  The guy with the puppy couldn't meet us on Saturday so we had to wait until Sunday.

We went to the first meeting at church, said our goodbyes, went back to my older sister's house to pack things up, and we headed out of town at 11:30.  We left Iowa, entered Missouri, and eventually, found ourselves in Kansas on roads we don't normally travel.  Finally, we arrived at the small town of Kansas to meet our puppy.

 Our first meeting.

The kids all said hello.

Then they kept him warm in our van while we finished up business.

Finally, he was ours.  We had our puppy and we could take him home.  Seth kept him warm in his coat while I drove.  He wasn't used to the cold weather we were having.  He was shivering quite a bit, although it was partly out of fear.  We stopped at a Walmart where I ran in and bought a towel to keep him warm and some dog food.  We let him wander around the van for a little bit to get to know us and to take a drink or eat if he needed to.  Then he rode the rest of the way in his crate.

We arrived home around 9:30.  We took his crate inside so he could be warm while we unloaded everything else from the van.  Then, we let him out to get familiar with his new home.  He was very timid at first.  The first couple days he just cuddled with us.



Then he showed us his playful side.


And we finally agreed on a name:
Rambo Chewbacca


Rambo - because he's a little dog fighting a big world.  He "knows" he can take on anything.
Chewbacca - not only does he look like a Wookie, he likes to chew on things.

We are very happy to have Rambo in our family.


No comments:

Post a Comment