While my sisters and I did not grow up with a dad who hunted, all 4 of us married (or will marry) a hunter. This boggles my mom. How did we 4 girls from a non-hunting family all find hunters to marry? God had that all planned out. Because, now every January, the 4 guys get together to go hunting. And that means a week vacation in Iowa with my family. :)
Unfortunately, my regular laptop has died. Or rather, the cord has. Again. So pictures will have to wait and I guarantee you that I am just as disappointed as you are, if not more.
We started the trip north on Thursday and arrived at my older sister's house just after midnight. My kids worked hard in school so that they wouldn't have to do any school while we were in Iowa. That was fine by me! Of course, my sister's kids attened school which was practically right across the street. It's the same school all my sisters and I attended.
My kids were up early to greet their cousins before they left for school. Seth and Andy, my youngest sister's husband, took off to prepare for their hunting week. All of the Iowa clan continued with their normal lives as best they could.
For the next week, us Kansas sisters and our families invaded our Iowa family. The guys hunted, very successfully, I might add. We sisters did some painting, wedding planning, and keeping our kids entertained and not fighting. The grandparents enjoyed having us all home - mostly. ;) Having 8 kids together for an entire week can get wearisome. They enjoyed the snow while it lasted, played Grandpa's Wii, and found other toys and games to play with.
My younger sister, who has had a headache for almost 9 years, was not doing well. Her headache had gotten worse since New Years and was experiencing dizzy spells. She had an MRI on the Saturday that my youngest sister left to come back home to Kansas. Her fiance got some hunting in but he really helped out with my sister as she should had little balance to walk.
We had planned on leaving on Saturday as well, but we needed to change those plans. Since December, we had been talking to a guy in middle-of-nowhere Kansas about getting a puppy. He couldn't meet us on Saturday, so we had to wait until Sunday.
We went to the first meeting at church and left around 11:30. We were making great time until we turned off our normal route to pick up our puppy. We finally arrived in the small town and called the guy with our puppy. I think it was close to 4:00. The kids were excited as were Seth and myself. After losing our rabbit, Sally, we needed a pet we could all call ours - not a specific person's pet. This puppy belongs to all of us.
I will write more about the puppy when I can post pics. We arrived home around 9:30. A trip that normally takes about 6 hours took us a long exhausting 10 hours. We held the puppy, tried to make him comfortable, unloaded the van, and soon, we all went to bed. It was a long week, especially for Seth who got up early almost every morning to go hunting. And we finally had our puppy - who still does not have a name.
Yesterday, we got some things for our puppy and took care of other business. Today, we try to get back into normal routine. Although, I still slept in and the kids slept in. We're learning how to do school with the added responsibility of a puppy. But we're doing well, I think. And now it's time for lunch.
I hope to post pics soon so you can see the fun we had in Iowa as well as our newest little family member.
No comments:
Post a Comment