I have an 8-year-old daughter and it probably comes as no surprise at all that she is a bit of a drama queen. Everything seems much worse than it actually is. Today, she put on quite a performance. She had burned her fingers earlier this evening, basically due to the fact that she wasn't listening to her dad. All the rest of the evening she carried a cup of cold water to put her fingers in. By the time she needed to get ready for bed, she had blisters. I got out the Aloe Vera gel and bandaids so she wouldn't feel the need to take a cup of water to bed with her. Because, obviously, that just wouldn't work.
She saw the bottle of green gel and began screaming bloody murder. Ok, not quite bloody murder. That actually came later. She had suddenly put herself in a horror film and the Aloe Vera was her cryptonite. It was like I was going to dump a bunch of spiders on her. Or she would be sleeping with snakes. Or birds came flapping through the window attacking her head. Drama. Queen.
"I'm fine with the bandaids...but not THAT!" boo hoo hoo. Yep, the girl deserves an Emmy.
I finally had to force her fingers out of the cup of water, dry them off, and I put just a teeny tiny bit of the Aloe Vera on her 2 blistered fingers.
More screaming. But not yet bloody murder screaming.
"It stings!!! It stings!!!" I blew on them and then covered them with bandaids.
The next several minutes involved her rolling on the floor, then onto the couch, then back to the floor. Screaming...yes, now bloody murder...and bawling. Waaaay over the top here. She may give Jim Carrey a run for his money.
I told her that she was thinking about it too much.
"Maybe if I could have some ice cream..."
I could not hold in the laughter any longer. Sorry girlie, you're not getting any ice cream. An applause for such an amazing dramatic performance. But no ice cream.
More screaming, bawling, rolling on the floor.
"I just want to rip my arm off!!"
More laughter from me....and from older brother in the next room.
Finally, I asked what the pain felt like. I knew she was in some pain, just not as much as she was portraying. She said she could feel her heart beat. Well, that meant the bandaids were too tight so I offered to take them off.
She agreed, but I had to do it carefully. I did my best, but she still gave me screams. The bandaids came off and she ran to get herself another cup of water.
And....scene. Take a bow, dear.
Time for Act II. This time, I'm the main character. (Were you wondering where she got her drama from?)
My eyes had been giving me some issues so I bought over-the-counter eye drops which have helped. Previously, my left eye had been the problem. Today I woke up with my right eye sealed shut. Awesome. K had been my eye dropper since I just couldn't do it myself. Tonight, however, I said each of my 3 kids could give me 1 drop.
I lied down on the floor. And battle ensues.
"Mom keep your eye open!!"
"I'm trying!!" I tried to focus on A, but she wasn't helping. "Show me a silly face."
"Why?"
Drop into my hair. "Moooommm!!"
"Sorry!"
The longer this takes, the more I get to laughing. And who can really laugh with their eyes open? Yep, that just added to the problem. Which lead to more laughter.
Finally, after getting drops on my cheek, eyelid, and the actual bottle smacking me in the eyebrow, K got a drop in.
Then J took his turn. I looked at A again for support, this time she knew what I needed her to do. However, J didn't quite get the hang of it. First he placed the dropper right in front of my eye so I couldn't even see around it. And when I told him it was too close, he stood up and held it a few feet above me. Well, that's not gonna work! He found a happy medium.
And...drop...right in my eye.
A got her drop in on the first try without much of a fight.
So, with my eyes running with tears of laughter and eye drops, I thanked the kids and sent them to bed.
Curtain closed.
No comments:
Post a Comment