This is the time of year my focus becomes our VBS. I have blogged about the VBS before but that is what is on my mind and will be until VBS is over. And then we all kinda start brainstorming for next year. lol I'm very excited about this year's theme and certain scenes for the skit have been running through my mind. However, since I depend on the speaker's notes and main Bible verses to write the skit, I have to wait. And that part just drives me crazy! No, I'm not going to tell you the theme just yet. :)
This year, I wasn't sure if I would even get to be involved at all because there's something bigger going on this summer. Yep, bigger than VBS. My sister is getting married and since that pretty much trumps everything, I was telling people last summer that my involvement may be very limited this year. Well, they wouldn't have that. "We can't have a VBS without you, Laura!" was something that one of the VBS planners had told me. So, we quickly got together and figured out a week when I would be here AND my absence wouldn't hugely disrupt our rehearsals.
Normally, I am the most excited about the skits. I get others excited as I develop their characters and let them know my plans. This year, after asking one of my main actors if he could take the lead again this year, his excitement went through the roof. He came running up to me telling me everything he wanted to do with his character and what he wants to wear. He was almost more excited that I am. Which is a good thing!! I like that my actors are excited and are planning their parts, characteristics, and costumes, even before I really have the skit written. Sure, I provide the storyline, conversations, and the basics of entering and exiting when and where. But my actors, all of them, throw in their own personalities and with their ad libs and commitment, the skits become much bigger and better than I ever imagined.
I LOVE this time of year. I let my creativity run free, even though it keeps me up at night. I love how everything comes together for VBS. Not just for skits, although that in itself amazes me. But how everyone of different talents come out of the woodwork and God uses each of these talents to create this incredible week of fun, crafts, songs, games, and learning about Jesus. VBS is the time of year where we can see the body of Christ working together for the Lord. Some years, if not every year, we get down to the week before VBS and we wonder how we're going to pull it off. But God does it. Every year. It's so awesome to watch God work!
So, if you will be in the Wichita area and want your kids to enjoy our VBS, mark your calendar for July 23-27. It's going to be a fun one and we would love to have your kids join us!
No comments:
Post a Comment