You may recall a blog I posted about a year ago. I believe it was called "My Cinderella Sister." Well, the time has arrived!! My sister is getting married in 2 days and we are leaving today to go to Iowa for the occasion.
As always, I'm busy tring to get everything together for the 6 hour drive and the weekend. We have 3 kids and a dog, and 4 of us IN the wedding (the dog is not one of them). So on top of our normal routine, I need to remember to bring our wedding clothes!! I actually dreamt last night that I forgot the wedding gift. In reality, if I forget the wedding gift, then I will have forgotten all the wedding clothes since they are currently sitting together in my closet.
I can't forget any of those things. They are the first things on my packing list! I have to have a list. And often times, I forget to put things ON the list but still remember to bring them. And of course there's those other times I forget something completely. Once, I nearly forgot my toothbrush when I was going to Iowa with my sister, Lisa. I remembered just as we pulled up to the stop sign on our street. Good thing, too, because finger brushing just doesn't do the job as well as an actual toothbrush.
Packing to go to Iowa is much easier than packing to go to Idaho. Iowa's weather is very simiar to ours in Kansas so I don't worry too much about what is needed. Idaho's weather is very different than ours in Kansas. Is there going to be snow? Is it going to be hot? I often feel like I'm bringing my entire closet to Idaho just to be prepared for whatever weather we run into. Even if it's hot during the day, it WILL be cold in the evening so sweathshirts and jeans are a must for any Idaho trip.
But, this trip is to Iowa, my home state. I know the weather well. Hot, humid, miserable. The only difference in Kansas is less humidity. Although lately, they've been about the same. So, I'm bringing swim suits for the kids. Who knows, there may be an opportunity to get the sprinkler out and letting the kids have some water fun.
I will be busy fulfilling my duties as a bridesmaid. First a trip to Des Moines to get our nails done and have lunch. Rehearsal and dinner on Thursday evening. And Friday is the big day!!
Normally, all I can think about is VBS this time of year. However, this summer has brought about varying distractions and my brain has been all over the place. There have actually been days that I don't even think about VBS. (gasp!) Maybe that's why I'm not freaking out that it's less than 2 weeks away?
OH MY WORD....VBS IS IN LESS THAN 2 WEEKS!!!!
Just kidding....
Honestly, I feel like we have our skit under control. And it hasn't really hit me that it is that close. I know that as soon as I return from Iowa, VBS is going to take over my thinking for the following 2 weeks. If my cast members have felt like I'm not completely focused, now you know why! Hahaha. Don't worry, I will be all VBS when I come home. VBS isn't nearly as extravagant as last year's. It's a nice, simple theme - a detective theme - and my skit is fairly simple, especially the sets compared to the last few years. But I pray it still gets the message across.
Anyway, this isn't about VBS, it's about my sister's wedding! Ok, actually it's about preparing for our trip to go to Iowa for the wedding. :) We will get things packed and ready to go and then wait for Seth to get off work. We'll drive 6 hours late into the night and arrive at my grandma's house to crash before the big weekend begins.
Of course, everyone else in Iowa has already been in wedding mode, preparing and planning and asking and answering and scheduling and approving and....you know how weddings go! It's one event that you only want to plan once! Mine didn't go as planned, but what wedding ever does? It's the things that go wrong that make the memory.
"Remember their wedding? That was the one where the flower girl cried." (mine)
"Remember that wedding? That was the one where the candles wouldn't light." (my sister, Sara's)
"Remember that one wedding? That was the one where the ring bearer yelled 'yay!' when they were pronounced man and wife." (my sister, Lisa's - and the ring bearer was my son)
Yes, every wedding should have some memorable moment and no wedding should be perfect.
Ok, I obviously have things to get done today. I've been looking forward to this for over a year!! Although I'm sure my sister and her fiance are a bit more excited than I am. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment