Saturday, November 10, 2012

Halloween

I love Halloween.  I just love dressing up and becoming a new person.  I don't like to spend a lot of money on costumes.  I tell the kids to figure out what we can use at home to create most of a costume and then we'll buy accessories as needed.

Well, this year, Halloween landed on Wednesday.  Wednesday is prayer meeting at church and since we want to encourage our children to attend all meetings of the church and to consider all of them an extremely important part of a Christian life, I couldn't say we could miss it for trick-or-treating.

The kids were a bit disappointed so I told them that we could dress up for the day while we do school but they couldn't be too crazy since we would be going to prayer meeting in the evening.

October came and suddenly, we had tons of things going on (which will be in a later blog).  I realized that dressing up probably was not going to happen.  We had no time to come up with costumes let alone get out and find those finishing touches.  I knew the kids would be disappointed so I came up with a fun idea to help ease the pain of not getting to dress up this year.

I created a scavenger hunt.  I bought colored index cards and wrote out 10 clues that eventually lead each one of them on a different path to their Halloween bucket full of candy.

Little A had the orange cards.  Since she can't read, yet, I helped her out.

 
J had the green cards.  He whipped through the scavenger hunt very quickly.  I guess I didn't make the clues hard enough.  Hahaha
 
 
K had the pink cards.  Here, she finds one hidden underneath one of the cushions of our porch swing.
 
 
They all found their buckets and said this was the best Halloween ever!  I'm so glad they enjoyed it.
 
 
I still bought candy for the trick-or-treaters who might have stopped by while we were still home, but no one came before we left for church.  After church, I thought maybe we could find something to dress up in for those late trick-or-treaters.  When we got home, we all dashed inside and found our costumes.
 
J is a ninja.  Little A is a fairy cat...I think?  And K is a princess, with a dog I guess.
 
 
Of course, I had to get in on the fun.  I am a nerd.
 
 
 
No one ever did come to our door begging for candy so I guess we got ourselves some extra.  :)
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment