The day started out ok. Seth is on-call which means he works regular hours throughout the weekend and must go to emergency jobs outside of work hours. That means it's just me and the kids going to church.
All is going just fine. We arrive at church, go to Sunday School, and then there are snacks in the back during the break before the Family Bible Hour. I filled up a cup of coffee for myself, but then the first event of the day happened.
As I brought my cup of coffee towards me, I didn't quite clear the little spicket thinger. My coffee immediately spilled on the counter.
"Way to go....me." I actually said outloud.
I quickly grabbed some napkins to clean up the counter from my side, filled up my cup again..this time avoiding repeating the incident, and then went around into the kitchen to clean up the rest of the spill. No biggie. All cleaned up and no one really knew. I enjoyed my coffee, talked with a few people, and then made sure all my kids were ready for the Family Bible Hour.
Shortly after the speaker began, I received a text. Since most people know I'm in church, I found it really odd that someone would text me. It was from Seth.
"I'm in the emergency room because I cut my finger with my sawzall."
I quickly texted back asking how serious it was. I left the sanctuary and headed to the back so the texts wouldn't bother people. I waited.
And waited.
And waited.
Finally, I got tired of waiting and went back in to sit. As soon as I got situated....."Do do do do do do. You've got mail!"
Ack! After a few texts back and forth and me leaving the sanctuary once more, I find out he didn't need stitches even though he had cut through the epidermal layer, there was a brass sliver in the cut, and he was in more pain after the doctor dug around in it. Whew! I was relieved. I thanked the Lord it wasn't more serious and asked God to help his pain.
Family Bible Hour soon ended and I talked with other people. One of my customers recently had a party and her order was in, so I went to go get the huge box out of my van. As I walked up to the door, a nice man opened the door for me. I thanked him and made my way blindly inside. Just to trip on the rug and totally biff it on the floor. The guy who opened the door quickly ran to my aide and said, "Oh, that is just so unfortunate!" While another guy accused the first one of tripping me. I assured them both I was fine, grabbed the box, and took it to my hostess.
We were one of the last people to leave, so we made sure all the lights were out and the new family had a way home (the oldest is in 8th grade and no parents coming with them). On the way home, Seth called and asked if we could meet for lunch. Of course! We decided on Taco Lopez, a place we hadn't eaten at in a long time.
We ordered, ate, and discussed various accidents, illnesses, and emergency trips we've had to make in the last 12 years. One of the ones we brought up was Little A's deformed fingernail. When she was very little, she was playing with a nightlight that was plugged in...and well, you could probably figure out what happened. I called my brother-in-law Dr. and he told me what to watch for if we needed to get her checked out. I also had a nurse at church take a look when we saw her. She kept an eye on it every week as her blackened fingertip changed colors, blistered, and the fingernail completely fell off. Her fingernail never grew back the same and has been deformed ever since.
Seth had to go back to work so he kissed the kids and then reached across the table to hug me....only to knock over my glass of pop with his now-numbed finger, causing it to spill all over the booth and Little A. I went to find napkins, but didn't see any so I told the employees about the spill.
*sigh*
We came home around 2:30. And you would think that is the end of the crazies of the day. I did too.
It's not.
The afternoon was a normal Sunday afternoon. We relaxed a bit, then the kids worked on their AWANA sections for this evening. Then we headed back to the church for AWANA - a Bible kids club where kids memorize Bible verses and earn "money" they can spend on various prizes a couple times during the year.
As I was rounding up the kids and their things to go back home after AWANA, I noticed Little A's deformed fingernail. It was ripped and her finger was bleeding. She said she had a band-aid on earlier but it had fallen off. I went back to the kitchen to get a band-aid from the first aid drawer and put a band-aid on her poor little finger.
And THAT is it. Well, it is only 8:45. Maybe I shouldn't speak too soon... ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment