Thursday, July 7, 2011

Friendship Bear

When I was little, my grandma made each of us grandkids a Care Bear.  We each got a different one.  I got Friendship Bear.  Friendship Bear is orange with 2 flowers on the belly.  I loved him.  I slept with him at night.  And one night, I was sick.  I had a throw-up bowl on the floor next to the bed.  I woke up in the middle of the night, leaned over the side of my bed and threw up, and then went back to sleep.

What I didn't know was that my Friendship Bear had fallen on the floor....and I missed the bowl.  Yep, my poor Care Bear caught it for me.

Well, my grandma got him cleaned up and I still have that bear today.  I let my kids play with him and sleep with him.  Last night, little A slept with him.

We had all gone to bed late, and I was having a hard time falling asleep.  Obviously, I did fall asleep because I woke up to a strange sound coming from A's room next door.  I wasn't sure if I really heard what I thought I heard so I layed in bed and listened.  Sure enough, I heard it again.

I whipped out of bed and went into A's room.  The tent that she likes to sleep in was tossed onto the floor.  A was sitting at the edge of the bed, still getting sick and crying.  She was throwing up into her dirty clothes basket.  Thankfully it was empty.  But, she didn't quite get everything in the basket.  There was some on her bed, pillow, herself, and the very same Friendship Bear that was on the floor next to the basket.  What are the chances of that same Care Bear getting thrown up on by me and then my daughter almost 30 years later?

Well, I got A all cleaned up.  New sheet, new blanket, new jammies.  She went back to sleep without a problem.  I, however, sat up and wondered what on earth made her sick.  She had no fever and this morning she is feeling just fine.  I finally got back in bed and after a few minutes I heard some more whimpering.  I got up again and got in bed with A.  She was still fast asleep but the whimpering stopped when I climbed in with her.  After a while, I moved back to my bed and fell asleep.

I must say, Friendship Bear lives up to his name.  What kind of friend would lay down on the floor and catch vomit - twice?  What a friend Friendship Bear truly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment