Monday, July 4, 2011

I'm proud to be American

Although I've been sick, fighting a horrible cold, I had to push through and enjoy Wichita's 4th of July celebrations on Saturday.  My family had gone to a Wichita Wingnuts baseball a couple of weeks ago for free.  The Wingnuts lost but we had fun as a family - well most of us did.  :)  Every year for the 4th, the Wingnuts play and then fireworks are shot just outside the stadium so everyone who went to the game has front row seats to the show.  Usually, we find a place high and watch them from a distance.  But not this year.

Even though both Seth and I are sick, we decided to go see the Wingnuts play and stay for fireworks.  In fact, we even decided to enjoy the food at the stadium.  It was a fun evening.  There were times I wished I was back on my couch because I was so dizzy, but the game got exciting.  We started out 3 runs behind.  Then we pulled in 2 runs.  The game continued like this for a few innings.  Then the Wingnuts made 3 more runs making the score 5 to 3.  But the Kansas City T-Bones caught up, scoring 3 more runs.  By the time we got to the 9th inning (nearly an hour after the game was supposed to end), the T-Bones were up 6 - 5.  The bottom of the 9th, we were up to bat.  One batter made it to base, stole 2nd and when the T-Bones over threw the ball, he went ahead and stole 3rd.  He eventually made it home, tying up the score.  Another batter made it on base.  So the T-Bones decided to walk our next 2 batters.  Bases are loaded, score is tied, and only 1 out.  Ball, strike, ball, ball.  One final pitch - another ball.  Yep, they walked another batter, giving us the winning run.  Wingnuts beat the T-Bones 7-6.  Baseball isn't usually that exciting to me, but I was on the edge of my seat (if not standing).

What we didn't know is that after the game, before the fireworks, they have a little reward program.  2 people were rewarded for helping out after the Joplin tornado.  A check was presented to help the people of Joplin and a town in Kansas that was also hit by a tornado.  And then a Kansan soldier had come home the day before from Afghanastan.  In April, he had stepped on a roadside bomb.  He lost both of his legs and his left arm.  He was not at the game as he was at another ceremony to honor him, but the crowd was on their feet.  Then they had all of the military men and women, past and present, stand.  I was surrounded by them.  So thankful for all of them, although I didn't know a single one of those who stood up around me.

Then the fireworks show began.  I had never felt more proud of my country than I was that night.  God has truly bless our nation.  The men and women who fought and are still fighting continue to make this country the great country that it is.  I am proud to be an American.  I am forever grateful to all of the soldiers who fight to keep this country free.  I wish I could name you all, but there's so many that I know personally to individually thank you.  I'm afraid I would forget someone.  But I will never forget what you have done.  Not only the soldiers, but also their families.  They sacrifice so much as well, so that their loved ones can go and fight for America.  And I thank God for America.  I thank God that this is my home.

Happy 4th of July everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment