Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Other Side of the Bed

No, I don't mean the wrong side...just the other side.

I have been in a hospital bed a few times with my husband by my side.  Of course, these were because of childbirth.  Our first was born naturally, then we had a miscarriage, and our last 2 were born via c-section.  I was in the bed with the gown and the IV's and in pain while Seth sat next to me wanting to help me somehow but couldn't.

Last Friday, the roles were switched.  My husband was in the hospital bed while I sat beside him.  I was on the other side of the bed and I hated it.  I felt so helpless.  Seth was doing fine before he went in for the surgery on his ankle.  In February, a ladder slipped out from under him and he fell 6-7 feet badly spraining his ankle.  After a few months of physical therapy, they decided they needed to do surgery.  The surgery went well and he's recovering ok.  But sitting there next to his bed before and after surgery was the worst feeling.

The first time I saw him in that bed, my stomach turned.  There my best friend, the love of my life, was in a hospital with an IV and moniters.  It wasn't anything serious, just a minor surgery, but I felt so sick seeing him there.  He did a good job at making me laugh though, like he always does.  Still, there were moments I thought the tears were going to flow.  Finally, it was time to wheel him back into surgery and I had to just wait.

A couple hours later, I was brought back in to see him.  This time he was very out of it.  He said a few things but couldn't remember it later.  It was a little better afterwards because then I felt like I had something to do, although I still didn't like seeing my husband of 13 years in that bed with the IV and gown.  I gave him water and asked the nurses for more when he ran out.  I helped him get dressed when he started to wake up a little more.  It was such a relief when the nurse finally took his IV out.  (The whole idea of the IV is what kept me from following my dream into the medical field).  His ankle was wrapped up and Seth was still a bit loopy.  After about 4 hours in the hospital, I was able to take him home.

I cannot imagine having to be on the other side of the bed as many times as Seth as been.  It is such a helpless feeling, seeing the one I love on the bed in a hospital.  I have a much higher respect for what he's been through as I labored and cried and birthed and recovered.  I thank the Lord for giving me such an amazing husband and that he has been pretty healthy all the years I've known him.

No comments:

Post a Comment