Then we went shopping for accessories. We needed to get those few items to complete our costumes. I still spent more money than I wanted to spend. Mostly for K's costume. She can be such a diva. lol "I want that! I need that!! I should have that!!" Oi.
With all the busyness, we weren't sure if carving pumpkins was going to be possible. We certainly didn't make it to a pumpkin patch as I was hoping to do. Well, Friday, we finally went to Walmart and picked out 3 pumpkins for carving. We came home, ate supper, and waited for J to come home from cleaning the church. He really enjoys going with a family from church and helping them clean it every week. He does a good job.
Finally, J came home. We cleaned up supper and started to figure out what kind of things the kids wanted to carve. A figured hers out pretty quickly. J took a bit but finally decided on a skull. K had several different ideas but could not settle on the one she wanted. (Notice the pattern here.) She had a few drawn out on paper. She tried at least 2 different ideas on the pumpkin with the small dotting tool. I drew a couple out for her. I looked online and printed one idea but we decided it would be too difficult. She sat and cried for a bit simply because she could not make a decision. We did our best to help her but making a decision for someone else isn't that easy. Finally, she found a fun face in the book that came with the carving tools.
Now it was time to gut them. I have always loved this part. Here's my tomboy coming out. :) I love the gunk, the slime, the goo. I had no problems helping the kids with their pumpkins in this area.
Obviously, K didn't share my enjoyment of the mush.
J and A didn't mind so much.
Once the pumpkins were gutted properly, it was time to carve.
J carved most of his by himself.
A was finished with hers pretty quickly since Daddy helped her out.
K carved hers once she decided what she was doing.
It was after midnight when we finally finished, but it was fun and well worth it. Back left is K's, back right is A's and J's is in front. They all did a great job!
Well, what comes after carving pumpkins? Waiting. The weekend seemed to drag as Monday could not come soon enough! And what a horrible thing to have a weekend drag, right? ;) K especially had a hard time waiting. She wanted to put on her costume so badly! Ok, I couldn't wait to get all of our costumes put together to see how they looked either.
Finally, Halloween arrived, but we still had to wait until mid-afternoon before putting on our costumes. We had chores and school in the morning. Then lunch and quiet hour. After our snack, I let the kids start getting ready. Myself included. We spent the afternoon getting our clothes just right, finding the perfect socks, doing hair and makeup, adding jewelry, etc. I also had to get supper ready, fill the candy bowl with candy for other trick-or-treaters, and clean up the living room. We were all finished and ready to go by 4:30. Kids would be coming by any minute.
Is she not the cutest Strawberry Shortcake?
J is really into the XBox 360 and one of his favorite games is Halo (all the different Halo games). So here he is as a Spartan from the game.
And Cleopatra. A queen. Surprising? Not at all. :)
I'm a rock star. I can't sing like one, although I try.
So we're all dressed but still waiting. Seth had the van so we couldn't go anywhere. I wasn't sure when trick-or-treating actually started. Plus I had supper cooking in the crockpot. I had thought about going to the mall where they had stores handing out candy but I wasn't sure if I wanted to deal with crowds of people. Seth came home, trick-or-treaters came to the door, and supper was ready to eat. Seth went downstairs and put on a bunch of hunting and airsoft gear, ready to hand out candy. The kids and I quickly ate supper and headed out.
Getting ready to head out the door for some trick-or-treating!!
Normally, there's only about 3 houses on our block that are handing out candy. This year, there were a couple more and we even crossed a couple of streets and found MORE houses ready for us. Since we don't live in the best of neighborhoods, I don't usually go passed a certain point. However, I found some very nice people living over there. The kids' candy buckets were about half full by the time we had come back around to our own house. I looked at the time. There was an hour left to go to the mall, but I decided it wasn't going to be worth it. Instead, we hopped in the van and headed up to where my sister lives.
When we arrived, my sister and her family were still out trick-or-treating their neighborhood, and it was obvious to see why. Most of the houses in her neighborhood were handing out candy. We decided to hit a few while we waited. After a few more houses, we headed back to my sister's house and found her and the family across the street on their last house for the night. My sister and her husband did not dress up. But with them they had Optimus Prime and Belle, my nephew and niece.
After a little chat, it was time to head home and get the kids to bed. After all, we still had to get up the next day for shool and chores because the day after Halloween is just a regular day. We came home and we trick-or-treated at the door for Daddy and they got their last load of candy. Seth said there were a few more kids that stopped by after we left. That's good. I wouldn't want the temptation of that huge candy bowl sitting in my house. We took one last picture before heading inside.
It was a fun evening. But I walked in those high heel boots all over my neighborhood and then around my sister's neighborhood and I could not wait to take those things off and give my feet some relief. After the kids enjoyed a few pieces of candy, I sent J and K to bed and A to the bath to wash out the red hair color.
Here is the bath water when she was finished. And there's still a little bit of reddish tint in her hair.
Halloween is now over. Costumes are put away. Most of the makeup and hair coloring is washed off. Candy is sitting in bowls, tempting me. And November is here. School has resumed, and regularity has returned for a short time. Soon we'll be Christmas shopping and holiday planning and celebrating the birth of our Savior. Time never slows down so cherish every moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment