Thursday, December 1, 2011

Busy, fun, full weekend

Wednesday, we spent the day packing, cleaning, finishing some school so we would be ready to head to Iowa.  My sister had already gone up to Iowa to surprise my mom for her birthday so we had to take her husband up with us.  The plan was to leave as soon as possible after both of the guys came home from work which would be around 5:00.

Seth didn't get home until 6:00.  Then we had to pack the van, run a couple of errands, pick up Andy, run another errand, get gas, get supper....and we finally drove out of Wichita at 8:15.  We had a 6 hour drive ahead of us.

We arrived at my parents' house at 2:15am.  Seth and Andy got up at 6:00 to go hunting.  Thanksgiving morning, I woke up and greeted my family, most of whom I had not seen since August.  We would be going to my cousin's house for dinner.  She lives in a Des Moines suburb.  We met the hunters (the 4 brothers-in-law) at my cousin's house and I greeted other family members I hadn't seen yet.  We enjoyed a wonderful dinner prepared by my aunt and others contributed to side dishes.  I must say I am quite proud of myself for my food choices and portions.  :)  Some people watched football, some a movie, kids played outside, and a few of us played a game.

Soon, it was time to go back to my parents' house where the kids were looking forward to watching a Christmas special on TV.  I prepared for our shopping trip on black Friday.  Then I think we played a game.  That evening is a bit fuzzy.  lol

Friday morning, the guys got up at 4:30 to hit a sale in Des Moines and be back before us girls wanted to leave.  They returned at 7:30 and were to watch the kids all day.  We girls left at 9:00 and hit the stores in Des Moines.  I got quite a bit of shopping done, although I still have a ways to go.  We came home in time to watch Greenfield's annual Christmas parade.  The kids came home with a lot of candy.  Then, it was time for the surprise.

My mom turned 60 this month and we put together a fun litte surprise party for her.  We brought in pizza and sang happy birthday to her.  We had invited some friends as well.  We ate and talked and laughed and Mom couldn't believe we got her.  Little did she know there was more to come.  After we ate we sang her a song (which has become a tradition in these types of celebrations) and presented her with gifts.  Then we had everyone come downstairs for cake and dessert.


My mom's favorite animal is the owl and here is her birthday cake.



My mom as she first sees her owl cake.

We all enjoyed the rest of the evening, and even played a game before we all headed to bed.  We had another big day ahead of us, however.

Saturday we celebrated Christmas with my Mom's side of the family.  We had already seen some of them at Thanksgiving but this was the Stowell Christmas - all of my cousins and their families would try to be there.  I only get to see them once a year.  The guys, including my son, got up at 6:00 for one last hunting trip.  Then we all headed to Grandma's house.  We had Christmas dinner and, again, I did pretty well with my portions, I think.  Then it was time for the Christmas story and opening gifts.  Some had to leave right away.  The kids watched a movie and some of us adults played games.


My grandma with her 3 children.  Uncle Denny surprised us all by coming.  We were so happy he was able to make it.  It was good to see him.



Grandma with her 10 grandkids.  These are the cousins I grew up with and the only 1st cousins I have.



And Grandma with her 14 great grandchildren.  Number 15 is on the way and we'll be adding 2 more in July when my sister gets married.

On Sunday we went to church and relaxed in the afternoon.  Usually we'd be packing up and leaving, but we stayed until Monday.  That is so much nicer than trying to get gone at a decent time on Sunday!  Monday we slept in, then packed up, said our goodbyes, and left by 11:00.  We got home around 6:15, unpacked the van, and watched the Sing-Off finale.

What a fun weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting busy weekend, your get togethers sound like ours, with lots of laughing added in, I'm sure yours aren't quiet either! It never occurred to me until reading this that you didn't have 1st cousins on your dad's side, just never thought about it! Isn't just getting out of town the hardest sometimes??! I can never even come close to my estimated leaving time and Dave has already said a dozen times, let's just leave, really, like we can just go and not get everything?? It's all worth it, but I do envy my sisters who live close, they have no idea how hard it is to have a holiday and plan a trip all at once. By the way the cake was cute, who made it? I'm guessing a lot of fondant. My Hannah loves owls too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes...lots of laughing and not a lot of quiet! lol It is hard to get out of town at a good time, planning the trip and the weekend and making sure we have everything - which we didn't of course! I left some games at home and Seth left some things in Iowa. *sigh* It always seems to happen. Someone who worked at the nursing home made the cake. My daughter Alie also loves owls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it was pointed out that one of the great grandkids escaped the group in this shot. So there are atually 15 with number 16 on the way. I do have another picture with all 15 but I guess I picked the wrong one to post here. Silly me!

    ReplyDelete