Monday, June 4, 2012

A Precious Moment of Goodbye

I seemed much busier in my head this summer than what I really am.  Yesterday we dropped off our two oldest children at camp.  K was a bit scared but we knew she would have a blast.  J had gone last year and had plenty of fun.  Little A sobbed as she had to say goodbye.  I wanted to take a picture, but I felt that might be too invasive on such a precious moment between A and her siblings.

Little A often has trouble leaving someone or watching someone else leave.  It absolutely crushes her heart every time.  I've never seen such a sweet and caring person as she is.  I tell her she will be a wonderful wife, an amazing mom, and a great nurse.

K had gotten her anxiety out in tears on Saturday as she hugged her dad and curled up on my lap.  A week can be a long time away from your parents when you're 8, almost 9 years old.  She will actually be celebrating her birthday at camp this week.  I'm not sure how I'm going to feel on that day...knowing my daughter is turning 9 and I can't be with her to help her enjoy her special day.  I love celebrating birthdays and if I had the money and sanity, I would throw each of my children huge birthday bashes with all of their friends.

Yesterday, we pulled up to the camp, unloaded their things and got them all signed in.  I helped K pick out her bed and Seth helped J get his things set up.  Then they both could get ready to go swimming.  We hugged and said our goodbyes, but Little A wanted to see them in the pool first so we waited.

First K came out.  We watched her enjoy the cool water and eventually J joined her.  We chatted for a bit, I took a few pictures (on my digital camera and I can't upload them directly onto this computer so they will have to wait).  We talked with other parents we knew.  Then it was time.

Seth said his goodbyes and walked back to the van.  That's when it hit Little A.  She couldn't even talk.  K and J got out of the pool and held her hands through the fence as she sobbed over having to leave them.  I hope it's a moment I never forget.

After a few minutes, I finally pulled Little A away.  I picked her up and carried her back to the van as she continued to cry on my shoulder.  "I want to say goodbye some more."  I told her she would want to say goodbye all day if we let her.  I buckled her into her seat in the van and drove around the pool area.  "I want to say goodbye again!"  I drove slowly and stuck my hand out the window to wave while Little A yelled out "Goodbye!" as best she could in her teaful voice.  J and K both saw us and waved as we drove away.

Daddy started to talk to her about other things and eventually got her to cheer up.  Soon she was smiling and chatting away as we drove the hour-long drive back home.  She played her dance game on the XBox and was back to her normal self in no time.

This morning she cried again as Daddy had to leave for work.  And I am just sitting here being lazy, wondering how my daugher at camp survived the night.  Last year I was sick to my stomach leaving J at camp for a week.  This year I'm doing much better, but I'm sure the week will get harder...especially on Thursday which is K's birthday.  Little A and I will have to find things to do to keep us occupied and our minds off of the 2 greatest older siblings in the world whom we miss so much.  We'll have some fun together and do the chores together.  And Friday we will get to see J and K again.

We will all be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment