Monday, August 13, 2012

The Body of Christ

The Body of Christ is an amazing thing.  Over the last several years, I have witnessed how the Body of Christ works.  Every Believer in Jesus Christ has their own gifts and talents to use for His glory.  We are described as the body in the Bible because we work together like a body does.  Each part has its own specific job.

Romans 12:4-5 "For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another."

I love the church we go to.  It takes at least 20 minutes to get there from our house.  Are there closer churches?  Yes.  But we have found a home at Westside Bible Chapel.  It is well worth our drive.  There we see the Body of Christ living and functioning as a body should.  There are those who take every opportunity to share the gospel of Christ with others.  There are those who work hard behind the scenes decorating for various seasons or activities.  There are those who keep the building clean and presentable.  There are those who teach us from the Word of God and encourage us in our walk with the Lord.  There are those who work with the children, teaching them from the Bible as well.  There are those who are great at planning and organizing events.  There are those that reach out to other Believers for encouragement and fellowship.  There are those who listen.  Those who give wise advice.  Those who prepare food.  Altogether, we create a home of Believers, bonded as one in Christ Jesus regardless of our differences.  Our love for each other is obvious.

That is just one local body of Believers.  I have brothers and sisters in Christ worldwide.  Many of whom I met at Emmaus Bible College.  Others at camps.  And others through online sites.

Since I don't always see my distant friends at work, I don't always know what their function in the overall Body is.  But I don't need to know theirs, just my own.  However, we are still bonded.  We have a love for each other, even though some of us have never met face to face.

Just as when a part of our own body is injured or sick, affecting the entire body, the same is with the Body of Christ.  When one member is excited over something the Lord has done, we are all excited.  When one member is facing a huge trial, we face it with them, lifting them up in prayer.

Romans 12:15 "Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep."

Right now, I have friends from various parts of the country facing different trials.  I weep with them.  I may not be going through the same things, may not know what it feels like, have no idea what to even say...but I weep.  I cannot imagine having to endure what they are enduring right now.  My heart breaks for them.

Some may wonder why we continue to worship a God who allows such things to happen.  God has a purpose.  His plan is perfect and we can't possible know what the big picture is.  God knows.  God knows what good can come from it.  I think of Joseph who was the favorite son of all his brothers.  Out of jealousy, his brothers sold him to slave traders and told their father he was dead.  Without knowing the end of the story, you have to wonder what purpose God had in mind!  He was sold to Potiphar who was Pharaoh's officer.  Through his hard work and faith in God, Joseph became Potiphar's personal servant.  But it didn't last long.  Potiphar's wife, after trying to sleep with Joseph, accused him of doing what she had actually done to him.  Joseph was then thrown into prison for something he did not do, something he resisted.  Instead of being rewarded by God for resisting this temptation, he was punished (not by God, but by Potiphar).  Still, God had a plan.

We may not understand why things happen, how good can come from the horrible trials we sometimes face, but we must trust that God is sovereign.  God has orchestrated every event to work together for the good of those who love Him.  (Romans 8:28)

I hurt for my brothers and sisters.  I continually pray for them, for strength, for comfort, for peace, for wisdom.  God knows exactly what they're going through and exactly how they're feeling.  He loves them so much more than I do.  And so we trust Him.

Of course there's a happy ending to Joseph's story.  We know what it is and that is why his life is among the favorites in Christian circles.  We can see God's plan from the beginning to end.  We see the big picture in Joseph's life because it is written down for us to see.  But think how Joseph must have felt.  He didn't know the ending to his story.  He didn't know why these things happened.  But he continued to be faithful to God, trusting Him.

And so it is with us.  We don't know the outcome of our trials...and sometimes we won't know until heaven God's purpose.  But we trust that God knows what He's doing.  That's all we can do.

So, to my friends enduring fiery trials, I love you and I'm praying for you.  When you weep, I weep with you.  You are my brothers and sisters in Christ and one day there will be no more sorrows and no more tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment