Seth and I were married in 1998. When we picked out his wedding ring, it was perfect. It wasn't too over-the-top and it wasn't just a simple gold band. We loved it.
Seth was one of those who liked to play with his ring. He'd take it off, roll it around, put it on other fingers, then put it back on the correct finger. He would do this over and over while watching TV or other things. He also took it off for work. He did lawn care and there are dangers involved so he didn't wear his ring when he was working.
He graduated from Emmaus Bible College in 1999 and I was in my senior year that fall. He continued doing lawn care while I finished my degree in Biblical Studies and Youth Ministries. At some point, we went to a basketball near Des Moines to watch our Emmaus Eagles play against Faith Baptist.
And that's the last place we remembered seeing Seth's wedding ring.
He was playing with it at the game, as he always did, and at some point it disappeared. We searched all over. Not even sure if we had lost it at the game or somewhere else, so we looked in our apartment and the car and, well, just everywhere! It was gone.
So, we tried to look for a replacement. Of course, we couldn't spend that kind of money again and eventually we did settle on a cheaper ring, but it just wasn't the same. I don't even remember him wearing it that much.
After I graduated in 2000, we moved to Lansing, Iowa, where we would work at Village Creek Bible Camp for a year. Most of our things were stored in a garage at the camp. But we still had a few of our own things with us. First, we were in one of the camper cabins. Then, in a trailer. That's where we spent the summer. When the busy summer camp season ended, we moved to another cabin. It was basically a small house with our own kichen, bedroom, bathroom, and living room. We worked the retreat season while I was pregnant with our first child. 2 other women at camp were also pregnant.
Before the next summer camp season began, we moved into the town of Waukon, not far from camp. The camp rented out a small house for us until we needed to move in July after the baby was born. J was born in June, then we packed up our things and moved to Wichita.
First, we rented an apartment. We got settled into our new life with me as the new stay-at-home-mom and Seth as a teacher at Sunrise Christian Academy. In Feb. of 2002, we moved into our house that we live in now.
The following summer, we were put in charge of the youth group and high school Sunday School class at our church. They came to our home for activities.
Now, here is the miracle.
One evening, while the youth group was hanging out at our house, I noticed a shiny object on the floor. I walked over to it. And there, next to the entertainment center was Seth's wedding ring!! After multiple moves and shifting around our possessions, the ring survived and was just randomly sitting on the floor.
I was speechless. I squealed, picked it up, and ran downstairs to tell Seth while the group of teens watched me in confusion wondering what was wrong with me.
Seth was just as shocked as I was. How, after losing it while living in Dubuque and moving to camp and moving to town and moving to an apartment and then moving to this house, did the ring make it through all of that?
Well, nothing short of a miracle.

No comments:
Post a Comment