Friday, August 23, 2013

A bit of a jogging adventure

With school starting and J heading off to public school this year, I am trying to get back into a workout routine.  Last year I started doing the couch to 5K (C25K).  It's a training program to get couch potatoes up and running a 5K in....I forget how many weeks.  I got to week 4 but couldn't get past it.  Then life got busy and I quit.

This week I started it up again.  Since it had been several months, I decided I should probably start all the way at the beginning.  Today I ran Week 1 Day 3.

After I drop J off at school, I get home about 7:00 in the morning and have breakfast.  Then I do my workout, the C25K is designed for 3 days a week.  So, I put my running shoes on, grabbed my ipod, and off I went.  Since the girls are still home, I just run up and down the sidewalk in front of our house.  Last year I did my running around 4:00 in the afternoon or later.  Since I'm now running at 7:30 in the morning, I don't have as many people watching me.  hahaha

The street in front of our house curves around.  It starts out going east-west, but then turns into north-south.  So, I get very confused on what direction everything on my street is because I don't know at what point it goes from east to north.  So, I will just say our neighbor to the north is having the roof reshingled.  I typically turn around in driveways.  I avoid driveways with cars parked in the way of the sidewalk and I avoid low hanging branches.  I always turn around in our south neighbor's driveway due to branches.

As I'm running, the roofers moved their huge truck into the north neighbor's driveway.  That left me with our driveway and the south neighbor's driveway for turn around points and a very short distance in between.  At first I tried to lengthen it out by running around our van.  However, today of all days I parked too closely to the bricks that outline the flower area (which doesn't have flowers) right in front of our house.  I hopped over the bricks and then caught my shoe on the drain pipe.  One of the workers stopped to watch me get myself unstuck.  Then I tried circling our driveway behind the van and run back and forth to the south neighbors.  I felt like all I was doing was turning around and couldn't really get a good pace going.  So, I crossed the street.

I felt ok being on the other side of the street because Seth was home.  Otherwise, I would be afraid the girls wouldn't be able to find me if they needed something.  Although, they don't wake up until 8:00.   Many of the yards on the other side of the street are fenced in.  I wasn't sure where I would find a good turning point.  One neighbor's dog went crazy and barked at me all along the fence as I ran past their house.  Then I ran into a spider web.  I bet that looked hilarious as I ran/walked while trying to pull off the web from my face and arms.  I think the roofers got a pretty good show.  Yes, they did watch me a lot.

I was able to run almost the entire length of the sidewalk.  I turned around debating whether or not to run past the house with the web and dog again.  Then, I noticed the roofing truck was pulled all the way into the north neighbor's driveway and I had room to pass it again.  I crossed back over and finished my run while the roofers watched me run back and forth in front of them.

I'm sure it was more entertaining for the roofers than it was for me.  But I can still laugh because it certainly was not a typical run!  lol  The shower is calling me now.

2 comments:

  1. Buster loves you.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had some roofers at work a couple years ago during the summer. Every time I went to fill up the pools or water balloons I could feel them watching. They got a pretty good show on the water balloon days!

    ReplyDelete