Friday, August 9, 2013

Boston

Wednesday, July 31, we made the trip into the city of Boston.  All 26 of us got on a train and rode for nearly an hour making stops in the towns on the way.

Little A took a nap on the train.


Once we arrived in Boston, we split up into groups.  Seth had his own plans so he was going to wander Boston on his own.  8 of us wanted to walk the Freedom Trail.  The rest went to the Children's Museum.

I chose to go on the Freedom Trail.  The Freedom Trail is a 2.5 mile walk around Boston, seeing the places where our Independence began.  I had walked the trail 21 years before, but at the age of 14, I didn't care.  Now that I'm a little older and I am teaching these historic events and people to my children, I wanted to see it and read about it again.  J came with me, but my girls went to the museum.  I asked my mom to take pics, but I haven't seen them yet and I don't have any to share with you.  But, I did take a few of the Freedom Trail.

We didn't do the entire trail as we wouldn't have enough time and we didn't want to see everything since most of us had seen it already.  My 13-year-old nephew was on a mission for his 6th grade social studies teacher.  My son just wanted to walk.

Off we went from the train station.  While others took the subway to their destination, we just started walking.  We decided to walk the trail backwards since there was more we wanted to see at the end than at the beginning.  Our first stop was Bunker Hill.

We arrived at this monument full of energy and excited about the day.  6 of us decided to take a trip up the tower.  Ron and June opted out of that and sat and waited for us.  It stands 221 feet tall.  There is no elevator.  We took the 294 steps to the top.

TWO HUNDRED NINETY-FOUR!!!

Yeah, if I had a heart problem, I was going to find out then.  Was it worth it?  Absolutely!  We looked out 4 windows and saw the city of Boston on all sides.  I love heights, I love looking down, I loved the sight from the tower.  My brothers-in-law Nate and Andy as well as my dad joined us on the trail.  We all had jelly legs and coming down seemed a tad dangerous when I felt like my legs were going to collapse under me.  But, we made it down all 294 steps.


Andy and Nate read more about the monument.


After visiting Bunker Hill, we saw the USS Constitution.  It was run by military so we went through security similar to that in an airport.  Emptying pockets, removing belts, placing purses and wallets and keys in plastic tubs.  Walking through the sensor where J and I both got beeped.  We got through ok.


J next to the ship.  We then walked around the deck.


Next, we went on to Copp's Hill Burial Ground.  We didn't spend a lot of time there.  I read a few of the grave markers and couple of signs.  We looked at the stones that were shot where we could still see the bullet indentations.  I read how the rich were treated better than the poor and that pirates were hanged there.

We later walked through the Old North Church and then visited Paul Revere's house.

Taking pictures in Paul Revere's house was not allowed.  Here is his statue.


We walked around Feneuil Hall.  This is where men like Samuel Adams made speeches on getting our independence from Great Britain.  Several people were trying to earn a little money by showing off various talents.  Crowds of people stood and watched them.  We stopped and watched a couple.

We walked right passed the site of the Boston Massacre without realizing it.  Thankfully my nephew saw it and got a picture.  Since "learning" about this with my kids this year, I found it interesting that 5 people killed was considered a massacre.  However, it was 5 civilians the British killed, not soldiers.  It is a part of our history leading to our freedom.

Our final stop was at the Benjamin Franklin statue.  It is also the site of the first public school.  From that point, we decided we needed to head back to the train station so we could catch the 5:30 train back to Rockport.

J and I.  We were a little worn out.



Nate and Andy

Ron and Papa

My nephew and June

Seth was already at the station when the 8 of us arrived.  We knew that Tim, Sara, 2 of her kids, and both of my girls decided to go to the Aquarium and take the 8:30 train.  We were just waiting on the rest of the group.  Instead of taking the subway, they decided to walk back to the station.  My grandma, mom, Bob, Lou, Lisa, and Amanda lead the 4 kids and the baby in a stroller back to the station a few minutes before we could board our train.  There were now 20 of us on the train headed back to Rockport.

It was nearly 10:00 when the Piearsons dropped off my girls at Bob and Lou's house.  I heard all about their day, the things they saw, the things they did....I think everyone had a good time in Boston.

A day in Rockport coming soon...




No comments:

Post a Comment