Monday, December 16, 2013

Thanksgiving to Christmas

Time sure flies by when you're busy!

Thanksgiving was a little different this year.  We used to visit my family in Iowa, but Seth's employer stated that no one was allowed to have the Friday after Thanksgiving off.  So, we were forced to stay home for Thanksgiving the last few years.  This year, however, Seth was on-call the week of Thanksgiving which automatically gave him Friday off.  Hmmm, what could we do?

First, we thought we should go to Branson.  We bought a Branson trip at the Kansas State Fair.  We have been wanting to go since our friends moved there, but could never find the time or money.  Since it was somewhat paid for, and our son was off from school, we called to book our room.  But, we thought up this idea too late and the hotels were all booked.  Another time we will make that trip.

So, we decided to head up to Iowa.  Since Seth was on-call, however, we would not make it up for Thanksgiving dinner.  We had our Thanksgiving dinner Wednesday evening instead.  Seth found someone to cover for him Thursday evening and we left as soon as we could.  We arrived in time for games with my cousins and all the kids got along fairly well.  Grandpa and Seth actually took them all to the park.

I had a surprise.  A couple of years ago, Seth had made the comment that his mom used to make pumpkin pie from a real pumpkin.  My grandma kinda laughed and said that nobody does that.  Well, I decided to prove her wrong.  I had made a butternut squash pie so I thought it must be pretty similar to that.  So, I looked up recipes online and this year, I did it.

My mistake last year was not buying the pumpkin soon enough.  Stores don't sell pumpkins after Halloween but only for a couple of days.  Not even pie pumpkins which I thought was odd.  So this year, I made sure to buy the pie pumpkin around Halloween.

Because of having to buy the pumpkin early, I had to cook it before it went bad.  First, I cut it in half and scooped out the seeds.

Then, I baked it for about an hour.  I think a little longer.

I scooped the pulp into my Ninja blender.



And pureed.


Then I put it into ziplock bags and in the freezer until I was ready to make the pies.  I did it one-half at a time so there are 2 bags for 2 pies.

Then, it came time to make a pie.  I let the mush sit out to thaw.


Then I added the rest of the ingredients and mixed.  I forgot to take a picture of it with the ingredients not mixed in.


I poured it into a pie crust.  Store bought crust.  I thought I was being adventurous enough and didn't want to risk it with a bad attempt on the crust.

And walla!!  A pumpkin pie made from a real pumpkin.

I decided to bring it up to Iowa for my family, specifically my grandma to try.  Come to think of it, though, I think Grandma had left by the time we got out leftovers for supper.  She may not have even tried any!  But, she did see that I made it.  :)

Everyone who tried the pie said it was good.  I guess that makes it a success!!!  The other half I am saving for Christmas, but just for our family.  Next year I may have to buy 4 pumpkins and make 8 pies so I have plenty for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  One pie for each holiday just wasn't enough.

Now, Christmas is upon us!  My shopping is basically finished.  Presents need to be wrapped still.  For the past couple of years, we've bought a real tree.  We always decorate it on Seth's birthday as was his tradition growing up.






There could potentially be one more blog before Christmas, but it won't be holiday related.  So...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment