That's how long I've been a mother. Today, my son J is 10 years old!
After graduating from Emmaus Bible College in 2000, Seth and I started working for Village Creek Bible Camp in NE Iowa. After a very busy summer, we moved into retreat mode. At that time, 5 couples served as full-time staff. 3 of us were expecting babies.
We told our families at Christmas. J would be the first grandbaby on my side and the 2nd great grandbaby on my mom's side. My cousin was also pregnant but due more than a month before I was.
I continued working at camp every weekend. The camp director's wife gave birth in March. I went to my 5-year high school class reunion in May where my home church threw me a baby shower. Then it was time to get ready for summer camps again. The camp directors moved us into a house in the near-by town. Seth and I had been looking to move. We both traveled to Wichita a couple of times for interviews and apartment searching.
The baby was due July 8, 2001. Seth got a job teaching at Sunrise Christian Academy and we would move in early August. The wrangler's wife gave birth in June.
The church I attended while at camp along with the camp director's wife threw me a surprise baby shower. I had no idea - and I was being very stubborn to not attend this church activity as I had camp responsibilities. But the camp director's wife worked all that out, Seth even said he would be busy, and it seemed everyone really wanted me to go. So I went - having no idea it was a surprise for me. :)
Then the day came - 2 weeks early. I was up timing contractions during the night. Seth thought I was just being a bit anxious and told me to try to sleep. I fell asleep. Seth went on in to camp to work. I woke up, still having contractions, and feeling like my water was leaking. I called the Dr. and he said to come in. I called the camp. No one could get a hold of Seth. I waited for several minutes. Finally, Seth called back and I told him we needed to go to the hospital.
After we arrived, things were progressing slowly but with my water leaking, something had to be done. The Dr. put me on putocin (sp?) which certainly made my contractions more intense. The camp director's wife came and relieved Seth for a few hours. She walked with me up and down the hallways, rubbed my back, and just kept me company. Seth returned and the day was about to end.
I'm not sure of the order of events - it was 10 year ago - but at some point the Dr. broke my water. It was then that my contractions brought me to tears. I finally accepted some pain medication - but no epidural. I insisted on doing it as naturally as possible (besides the fact that I was terrified of the epidrual). I woke up several times during the night with contractions. The Dr. tried 3 different pain meds. He and Seth massaged and rubbed me to get me to relax.
Finally at around 6:45am, it was time to push. By then, all the pain medications had worn off and I was giving birth completely naturally, just as I had wanted. At 7:29am, J was born. "It's a boy!" the Dr. said and then placed him on my stomach.
I was a mom. I had a son. I have watched him grow and learn for the last 10 years. He has always been excited about learning new things. He gave his life to Jesus when he was 3 or 4 years old and was baptized when he was 8. He continues to love and serve the Lord.
Happy birthday, J!! I love you!!!

Not sure why the first picture doesn't show up.
ReplyDeleteOk, now I got it. :)
ReplyDelete