I spend a lot of my creative thinking in bed while I'm trying to fall asleep. Last night I thought of 2 blogs I could write. But do I remember them this morning? NOOOO! I don't have a clue what they were about. That's pretty normal for me. As I lie there, waiting for sleep to come, my creative brain goes on active mode. I often come up with songs, blogs, skits, books, sitcoms, movies and then rarely have any clue what they were the following morning.
When it comes to songwriting though, I take those ideas a little more seriously because that is what I enjoy most in my creative thinking. When I was in high school, I would actually get up out of bed, go to my closet (so I didn't disturb my sister with whom I shared a room), and write down the lyrics so I wouldn't forget them. Then I hum or sing the song in my head over and over so I don't forget the melody. Nowadays, I just pray, "Lord, if this is a song you want me to write, help me to remember it until I am able to write it down." As a mother of 3, I would rather sleep than get up and write a song. Hahaha. Songs come to me in different ways. Sometimes I come up with a topic and go from there. Other times, the chorus pops in my head. The hard ones are when I get a verse or part of a verse and then I'm stuck. I can be stuck there for months before I figure out the rest of it. But, the best ones are when I get the entire song - lyrics, melody, harmonies, everything - in one shot. Those are the ones I can most easily remember and write down as soon as I get the chance and can't wait to record it. However, recording is not possible right now since my computer that I had the recording software on died a year or so ago. My husband and I looking around for some new recording equipment because I am going crazy without the ability to record all these songs that have flowed out of me! lol
For our church, I am in charge of coming up with the skits for our VBS. From April to July every year, I am in VBS mode. Year after year, the skits become more and more challenging and this year, I nearly backed out and said I couldn't do it. But as I did my research on our theme - Pilgrim's Progress - the ideas started coming. And, yes, many ideas came to me at night while I was in bed trying to sleep. :) This will be my 7th year writing the skits for VBS and everyone seems to enjoy them. I am often surprised at how quickly I put the skits together considering all the personalities I have in my cast and they can only come from God. He does most of the writing. I can say the same for my songs too.
My creativity comes from God. I give all credit to Him. So, if you think of it, please pray for our church and our communities as we plan and prepare for this year's VBS. To God be the glory.
7 years writing VBS skits already?! Wow! I can't wait until you get new recording software either. LOL ~Krista
ReplyDeleteI know...I can't believe it's been that many years! My first skit was in 2005.
ReplyDelete