I was very worn out yesterday so supper was a bit late. My husband got home pretty late too. I finally got supper ready and we sat down to eat. A storm was coming. In fact we were already in a tornado warning but the storms seemed to be headed north of us and we were mostly out of harm's way.
All of a sudden, we were hit with heavy winds and rain. It was very green outside indicating tornadic weather. My husband said, "Get to the basement, NOW!" I grabbed a couple of things of importance and we all headed downstairs. My husband tuned into the radio on his iphone and we all listened in. My daughter was very concerned about her pet rabbit who was sitting outside in her cage. A little bit later we decided the worst had passed and we headed back upstairs.
I grabbed another helping of supper and we continued to eat again. My husband kept the radio on. The storm trackers were starting to discuss dangerous-looking clouds, some in rotation, just a mile or 2 from where we lived. It was still very green outside and still raining pretty hard. So, back downstairs we went.
We huddled together on my younger daughter's bed and listened to the radio. The storm trackers continued to watch the clouds near us. Then everything went black. Our power went out. The kids were holding up ok. Little A really didn't know what was going on. K was crying for her rabbit who was out enduring this storm. J was hiding under the blankets. Soon we could hear the hail on the one tiny window in the room. It was much brighter outside than it was in the house. We could see the green color through the curtain.
The tornado warning was supposed to end at 8:30, but it sure didn't sound over when 8:30 finally came around. We sat and waited while my husband had to wait for the signal to reach his phone since our wireless was now down. After a bit, he asked me to go upstairs to check things out. Actually, he asked if I wanted to or if I wanted him to go. I love the excitement of thunderstorms and tornadoes so I gladly volunteered to see what it was like outside.
The green just glowed outside. Clouds were a light gray. The rain wasn't very hard any more. I walked to the front windows and could see small patches of blue sky. I went back down to report. We listened in on what radio signal we could get and finally decided it was safe to go back upstairs.
As the sun finally set, the house became pitch black. My husband grabbed a couple of flashlights and we lit a candle. We finished our supper, which was now cold and we had no power to use the microwave. My husband's phone was about to die so he "plugged" it in to his mini laptop hoping whatever juice it had in the battery would charge his phone.
10:00 came so we sent the kids to bed. My daughter didn't like the idea of going to bed without a nightlight. Well, it's about time she learned! :) Since my husband was the on-call plumber, he had to go to work for a couple of emergency calls. I blew out the candle and got myself and my younger daughter ready for bed. I let her sleep in my bed since my husband wasn't home.
I was jolted awake at around 1:00am by lights, fans, and the AC turning back on. I moved my daughter to her bed, walked around the house and turned off the lights. My husband still wasn't home. I prayed for the Lord to keep him safe and that He would protect everyone through this storm. Finally, I could hear my husband come through the front door around 1:30. Everyone was home. We were all safe. Even the rabbit.
No comments:
Post a Comment