Wednesday, August 7, 2013

5 car caravan and 9 states

Destination: Rockport, MA

With most of my family in Iowa, my sister and I who live in Kansas drove up to Iowa on Friday, July 26, so we could start the big trip together.

We had heard earlier in the week that my grandma decided to come.  That makes a total of 22 leaving from Greenfield, and 24 by the time we picked up my aunt and uncle in Davenport, IA.

We arrived in Iowa around 6:30 and enjoyed supper with my family.  After nearly a year or so in planning, we could hardly believe the trip was finally here.

Saturday, July 27, we set out for our trip in 5 different vehicles.  My dad lead the way.  The Robleses were number 2, we were 3rd, Piearsons 4th, and the Hilpipres picked up the rear.  Did I mention that *I* was the one driving?  Not Seth.  Me.  Yep, I took the wheel for most of the trip.  Seth hates to drive and I like the long drives.

We left around 9:30 after asking the Lord's blessing on our trip and safety as we travel.  We stopped for lunch but realized we had forgotten the bread so we took the exit at Coralville and ate at Hy-Vee and purchased forgotten supplies.

As we pulled out of the parking lot, a miscommunication lead to me getting lost.  Papa and Andy had taken a left on the frontage road while I pulled out onto the actual road followed by Tim and Nate.  Sara called to give me directions from Tim.  Andy called Seth to let him know what they were doing.  I got confused and pulled into another parking lot.  I only need one person telling me what to do and 2 people with 2 different ideas was too confusing so I decided to pull off the road and figure out exactly what I needed to do.  Finally, I got back on the road 2 miles behind everyone else.  Amanda called from Davenport to check on me.  We arrived in Davenport to pick up my aunt and uncle, Ron and June.  Then, straight into Illinois.

As we arrived in Chicago, I lost Papa and Andy in a toll booth.  I was now in the lead with Tim and Nate behind me.  No problem.  I knew to stay on I-80 East.  After a bit, Mom called Seth to let him know the exit to continue on I-80 comes up fast.  I was keeping my eyes on the signs.  As the exit grew closer, Amanda tried to call me but I couldn't answer in time.  I took the exit for I-80 while my daughter K and niece were repeating to me what the GPS  was saying.  Then, as I'm taking this long, sharp curve, I receive a call from Sara...which I couldn't answer either.  Stupid phone.  It was a little hectic.  We made it onto the main road for I-80 and continued to drive East out of Chicago and into Indiana.  Come to find out, Amanda called to see if I wanted Nate to take the lead who did not realize we needed to take an exit to stay on I-80.  Sara called to ask what on earth I was doing because Tim did not realize we needed to take an exit to stay on I-80.  That's right, boys.  This girl knows how to read road signs!  ;)

We arrived at our campsite in Indiana around 10:45 EST.  We all set up our tents in the dark.  Ron and June stayed in a hotel.  Grandma slept in my parents' tent.  It was an exciting first day, for sure!  We were thankful that God watched over us and got us through the difficult areas and we were safe at our first destination, ready for bed.

Sunday, July 28, we left the campground around 8:30.  We drove through Ohio, Pennsylvania, and into New York.  We arrived at our campground around 6:00, set up the tents, and ate supper.  Then, we went to see Niagara Falls.

This was my 3rd or 4th time at Niagara Falls.




But for my kids and some others, this was the first.





Here is the youngest traveler at 2 1/2 months old.  She was a trooper!



My dad is helping Little A look through the viewer.






My grandma, the last-minute traveler and the oldest traveler was quite the trooper, too.







We stayed late enough to see the colored lights shine on the falls.



Grandma decided she had enough tenting and joined Ron and June in the hotel.  We all enjoyed a good sleep in our tents, not knowing this would be the last time we slept in tents on this trip.

We left around 10:30 on Monday, July 29.  As we headed into Albany, the GPS took us in different directions.  Papa, Andy, and I continued on I-90 through the toll booth while Tim and Nate passed us by on a different interstate around Albany.  Again, I lost Papa and Andy at the toll booth.  We later figure out where Tim and Nate are.  My mom ended up being really sick so Papa found a place in downtown Albany and Andy just followed.  Since they were out of my sight, I had no idea that they had pulled off, so I continued on, all alone.

We entered Massachusetts and reconnected with Tim and Nate at a rest area on the toll road.  Andy and Lisa decided to leave Papa in Albany and join us so we waited for them there and ate supper.  Mom was really sick and they were considering staying in Albany.  It was just us sisters and our families.  Tim and Nate had been to my aunt and uncle's house in Rockport more recently than Lisa or I had been.  In fact, the last time we were there was 21 years ago.  I was 14.  Sure, we could rely on the GPS, but Bob and Lou's driveway was hidden and could be easily missed.  Tim took the lead, I took 2nd, Andy 3rd, and Nate continued in the last spot.  On we went.

Those stupid toll booths.  I lost Tim as we headed into Boston.  Andy and Nate were nowhere to be seen behind me.  I was alone again.  This time in the dark.  I was forced to rely on the GPS (which I hate doing!).  Eventually, Andy and Nate caught up to us.  Amanda called to see if we were ok or if I wanted Nate to take the lead.  I let Nate go ahead of me because I simply do not trust the GPS.  Tim was still too far ahead of us.  We made it into Rockport and arrived at Bob and Lou's around 10:00, shortly after Tim.  My parents were already making their way here.  Mom still wasn't feeling well, but she was doing ok enough to travel.  They arrived about an hour later.

Whew!  We all arrived safely.  A few mishaps, a bit of panic, but all under God's protection and care.  God is good.

More to come...


4 comments:

  1. OK,... I had forgotten you were traveling out here. I live in Rochester - about 20 min from 90 as your passing the Rochester exits. *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! We passed by so many people we would have loved to stop and see but we were crunched for time as it was. I did think a lot about all of my Li-Lo-Li friends as we drove through New York. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pictures of Niagra Falls, our family did a group 4 van caravan this summer all over Michigan, up to the very top of the U.P. to see pictured Rocks National Park. We had a blast,we rented a large cottage for a very reasonable cost, 20 people in a beautiful cottage on a lake for $110 a night! Still can't believe what a deal it was! The hardest part is staying together for sure, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds amazing!! What a great deal on the cottage, too!

    ReplyDelete